Some of the designs I made ar really old and I figured some of those deserve a facelift - literally. So here we go, let's squeeze in as much detail as we can shall we?
For this one I chose not just to flesh out the details but also reimagine the ship as a whole, tackling several issues, that would not work practically and logically:
- I've removed the missile lauchers from the fuselage and instead put them into separate compartments, allowing me to sleeken the fuselage itself and treat them as modular expansions.
- The old VF2's engine casings were somewhat closed-up tubes with only the nacelles protruding out, making the engine section feel too massive. I have redesigned the casings casing as a layer of armor "wrapped" around the machinery parts.
- For the cockpit, I've redesigned the canopy, adding an intersection so it could (in theory) be opened.
- For the cannons I looked at the way I had designed them on the Piranha and built from there. The new weapons are no longer simply stuck inside the wings but have an actual casing that attaches them to the fuselage.
- The new fins are more or less a tryout, but I kinda like them.
Next I went back to earlier designs, which featured a light version with only the two main engines. All in all the whole model is now designed as fairly modular which allows for a multitude of specialized configurations.
- Add spotlights
- Come up with a proper location for landing gears. --> Model Landing gears
- Complete cockpit model
- Create connection between engines and fuselage
- Update wings on XT-20 base version
This model has already gone through numerous reiterations since its initial release, already having an almost completed OPT set with Exterior and cockpit, which would just so miss its release due
to me being unhappy with the model in general - for a number of reasons:
- Odd placement of the weaponry
- wing setup, while unintended, is too similar to an X-Wing
- Overall sice is too small for a heavy attack fighter / bomber
Istead I pretty muchstarted from scratch and reimagined the whole thing, ending up modular design with various possible configurations.
In the end I've split this up into two main versions:
- The BX-80 Dragonfly is a Bomber, carrying several warhead launchers on its lower wings. The main wings are split into two, paying hommage to the original design but giving it a look of its own - while even closer resembling an actual dragonfly.
- The BX-88 Scarab is a gunship carrying heavy long range weapons on the inside of those lower wings, which could fold in to cover the weaponry.
These new designs are a lot bigger and, while still a tad shorter than a Victory-series, they're a lot bulkier and more massive.
- Scale up model according to XT-2 pilot. Should be around 5-10-ish percent bigger
- Make window frame thicker for more protection.
- Create a third BX-85 dropship variant with passenger space
This redesign focuses on a few things, mainly adding detail and improving some weird shapes. The emphasis here lies with the cockpit. In hindsight, the huge windows make it look more like a fighter than a transport and not only diminish the feeling of scale but also are to be regarded as structural weaknesses. Also the cockpit interior uses up a lot of space for no reason, which is why I'm moving the rear wall forward to line up just behind the side windows.
Apart from that I want to revise the main fuselage as well as the shape of the engines, which look a bit too atmospheric and "pipey" at the moment.
- Redesign the modular engines to look less pipey.
- Replace old weapon meshes with HD meshes (DIPs derived from Victory Series)
- Add hull plating & other details.
- Improve the wing shapes
Still considering to make the Barracuda a completely different design alltogether, but that's a story for a different time...
One of my earlier capship releases for X-Wing Alliance I found it to lack some detail for today's standards so eventually went at it again and, deriving from textures, fleshed out certain areas of significance. That was the beginning of it ....
- Idea: - Move hangars to a lower position beside the ship. Problem: Forward section well be an obstacle during take-off and land.
The Seraphim was one of the first models for which I decided to make a HD revision. For this I did not only flesh out certain areas to add more details but also completely redesign certain parts.
One such part is the entire engine block, which I always found somewhat chopped off when compared to the flowing shape of the rest of the ship. For the revision I added a good 100 meters to make it fit with the rest of the ship's design.
Further more I upgraded the ship's primary weapon system. Where the old Seraphim had a somewhat unspectacular 3-barreled heavy cannon, that one has been replaced by a huge mass driver cannon running along a quarter of the ship's bow plus a pair of heavy beam cannons along the ship's sides.
- Make adjustments to Engine naceles
-- Redesign or get rid of those girders
-- Rethink engine glow color
- Reconsider the forward "bombardment array" - are those things really reasonable? Maybe replace with actual turrets?
- Move hangar interior further down
A design almost as old as that of the Patriot Frigate. Although the model already was by far more detailed than the initial sketches, looking at it fully textured I felt like there could be more of it, so I went ahead and fleshed out further details. Still doing and far from finished.
Not much more to say just yet. I've started working on the HD version a few years ago and got distracted by other things.
- Idea: Make a dedicated carrier version (aka. A25/C Brigon)
- Rework Wing shape
- Idea: Combine Phoenix & Furion design (or turn that into the Brigon)
Another ancient design of mine, dating back to a drawing I did in (roughly) 11th grade. With the HD remake I intned to not only flesh out some of the details but also incorporate some elements that did not make it from the drawing to the model in the first place.
Update to bow section: Reshaped the rectangular part at the front to fit in line with the hexagonal shape of the nose. This part always looked too blocky. Also this way I can add more details in line with the overal design.
A thought: As more of an experiment I created additional plating to cover the exposed bottom section with the 3 heavy turrets. Either keep it or maybe turn that into a totally new carrier-like design.
Not much to be said yet about this one's HD remake, as the original was already quite detailed. There are a few things I intend to do:
1) reintroduce the numerous heavy Quad turrets that the original model was carrying.
2) change a part of the ship's side into a set launch bays, an idea that came to me after seeing the textures in the finished XWA version. Something about that section made that part of the ship look like a number of launchbays.
- Connect forward hangars to launch bays.
Revise Shape: Cut out parts of the saucer section to make it look like an arrowhead.
Revise Shape: The current shape is a fatal flaw leaving large portions of the interior uncovered. Use Bow from the Warbird and then cut out holes inside the saucer section to allow a more protected hangar.
Idea: Replace the ship's old model with what currently goes as the Sinicyan Matriarch.
Other idea: Combine the Mammoth + Trident designs and eliminate the redundant mammoth completely.
Along with adding more detail and some higher resolution textures, there are a few things I think need attention.
The main thing here is that the hull isn't perfectly plane which may lead to some weird shading effects, so this upgrade will mainly be about cleaning up that mess.
Apart from that I'm basically revoking the old philosophy of including greebles into texxtures. So the idea is to make anything that is 3D in textures into an actual 3D object, at least to some degree.
- Move wing section further inward. Add the actual joint bits.
- Idea: Could this work with S-Foil mechanics?
- Idea: Try to match the shape of the "nose" bit of the bridge with that of the Venator/Valiant-class
- Idea: Move main engines a bit further apart, the whole block seems kinda cramped.
- Rework that warhead launchbay in the center, looks weird!
There's numerous reasons for redoing this one - issues with my prior upgrade that utterly screamed "You can do better than that!".
This upgrade isn't too high on my list of priorities. There's just a bunch of things I want to tackle at some point:
- Revise bits of the cockpit interior to be less flashy and colorful (gritty realism ftw)
--> Maybe do some slight remodelling to make the cockpit canopy less tall.
- Add landing gear & advanced Base OPT
--> In that context, add S-Foil function to the vertical wings so they can fold in upon landing
No concrete plans so far, but it'll likely happen as I'm making progress with the VSD1. I might rethink the "wingless"-design at some point. I've seen a model on DeviantArt where there were no pair of wings on each side but instead the wings were solid protrusions from the main hull, kinda like with my Predator SD or various other Legends ships like the Harrow-class.
For the Sovereign's revision I plan more detail to the wide flat spaces and trnches as well as the superstructure on top and the engine section.
Other than that, I was sort of unhappy with how uninspired the hangar bay(s) turned out. Surely I can do better than that....
I'm also thinking about correcting the, for some reason, upward facing angle of the side trenches. But since that will totally mess with a lot of the ship, it's way down on my list.
For this one - along with the general updates as stated with the Sovereign - I intend to revisit the forward hangar section, which I consider way too much of a structural weakness by now. Therefore I'll reinforce or maybe even completely redesign that section.
Other than that I'm thinking of removing the "wings" at the rear as they would serve no real purpose on that ship and to make the ship in general more disinct from the later Sovereign.