Some of the designs I made ar really old and I figured some of those deserve a facelift - literally. So here we go, let's squeeze in as much detail as we can shall we?
This isn't a full remake but rather a HD texture conversion. Updates to the model itself, if any, will be minor at best, while I'm working with the original texture source files to convert the OPT into HD.
There will be a few minor changes to the textures such as the bottom airlock door which always looked odd to me, never looking like an actual blastdoor would look. Other that I'll be making updates as I go.
design almost as old as that of the Patriot Frigate. Although the model already was by far more detailed than the initial sketches, looking at it fully textured I felt like there could be more of it, so I went ahead and fleshed out further details. Still doing and far from finished.
Revise Shape: Cut out parts of the saucer section to make it look like an arrowhead.
Revise Shape: The current shape is a fatal flaw leaving large portions of the interior uncovered. Use Bow from the Warbird and then cut out holes inside the saucer section to allow a more protected hangar.
Idea: Combine the two ships' designs and eliminate the redundant mammoth completely.
Along with adding more detail and some higher resolution textures, there are a few things I think need attention.
The main thing here is that the hull isn't perfectly plane which may lead to some weird shading effects, so this upgrade will mainly be about cleaning up that mess.
Apart from that I'm basically revoking the old philosophy of including greebles into texxtures. So the idea is to make anything that is 3D in textures into an actual 3D object, at least to some degree.
- Move wing section further inward. Add the actual joint bits.
- Idea: Could this work with S-Foil mechanics?
- Idea: Try to match the shape of the "nose" bit of the bridge with that of the Venator/Valiant-class
- Idea: Move main engines a bit further apart, the whole block seems kinda cramped.
- Rework that warhead launchbay in the center, looks weird!
There's numerous reasons for redoing this one - issues with my prior upgrade that utterly screamed "You can do better than that!".
No concrete plans so far, but it'll likely happen as I'm making progress with the VSD1. I might rethink the "wingless"-design at some point. I've seen a model on DeviantArt where there were no pair of wings on each side but instead the wings were solid protrusions from the main hull, kinda like with my Predator SD or various other Legends ships like the Harrow-class.
For the Sovereign's revision I plan more detail to the wide flat spaces and trnches as well as the superstructure on top and the engine section.
Other than that, I was sort of unhappy with how uninspired the hangar bay(s) turned out. Surely I can do better than that....
I'm also thinking about correcting the, for some reason, upward facing angle of the side trenches. But since that will totally mess with a lot of the ship, it's way down on my list.
For this one - along with the general updates as stated with the Sovereign - I intend to revisit the forward hangar section, which I consider way too much of a structural weakness by now. Therefore I'll reinforce or maybe even completely redesign that section.
Other than that I'm thinking of removing the "wings" at the rear as they would serve no real purpose on that ship and to make the ship in general more disinct from the later Sovereign.